Business News

VP Sara will run for President in 2028; Bongbong wishes him ‘good luck’

By Adrian H. Halili again Chloe Mari A. Hufana, Journalists

PHILIPPINE Vice President (VP) Sara Duterte-Carpio on Wednesday said she will run for President in 2028, becoming the first politician to reveal her intention to seek the country’s highest office amid a growing conflict with President Ferdinand “Bongbong” R. Marcos, Jr.

“I am Sara Duterte, I am running for President of the Philippines,” she said in a prepared statement in Filipino. He declined to answer questions afterward.

The 1987 constitution limits Mr. Marcos has one six-year term, and has yet to approve a successor.

Before announcing her presidential bid, Ms. Duterte said running with Mr. Marcos in 2022 was a mistake, accusing him of failing to deliver on his campaign promises and being complicit in what she described as a massive corruption scheme involving the 2025 national budget.

“I cannot kneel in front of every Filipino to ask for forgiveness,” said Ms. “Instead, I dedicate my life, my strength and my future to the service of our nation.”

“In the first months of our terms, I saw the lack of credibility of Bongbong Marcos, Jr., both in the promises he made during the campaign, and in his sworn duty to the people,” he added.

Mr. Marcos wished the Vice President “good luck,” Palace Press chief Clarissa A. Castro said at a press conference.

He said Ms. Duterte must apologize for her mistakes during her tenure as Education Secretary, including allegations of corruption, use of private funds, overseas travel expenses and remarks against the President.

“He should first apologize for the issues of corruption and the alleged misappropriation of secret funds of his two offices at the time – the Office of the Vice President and the Department of Education,” Ms. Castro said in Filipino. “He should also apologize for all the slander instead of working to help the government.”

Mrs. Duterte served as Education chief from 2022 to 2024 after the Marcos-Duterte tandem won in a landslide under the “UniTeam” banner. He left the Marcos Cabinet due to allegations of irregularities in the Department of Education, which is the largest government agency in terms of budget.

Members of Congress renewed their impeachment petitions earlier this month, and Ms. Duterte now faces three separate impeachments in the House. “If there is still a case that will appear because of his actions,” said Ms. Castro.

Mrs. Duterte has denied wrongdoing.

The rift between Mr Marcos and Ms Duterte has grown in recent months following policy differences and political differences between their camps.

The political rivalry resurfaced after her father, former President Rodrigo R. Duterte, was arrested by the International Criminal Court on charges of crimes against humanity related to his anti-drug campaign.

The House acquitted him last year but the Supreme Court dismissed the trial as violating his right to due process.

‘SAMARTER’ MOVE
Anthony Lawrence A. Borja, a professor of political science at De La Salle University, said the Vice President’s action could increase tensions in Congress and pressure lawmakers who have yet to take sides amid calls for impeachment in the House.

“Considering that they are in favor of Duterte, then the impeachment talks may drop,” he said in a Facebook Messenger chat. “If the Marcos camp decides to use a strong hand to ensure credibility, it will be a question of whether it can provide enough incentives to keep legislators in line.”

Hansley A. Juliano, a political science lecturer at Ateneo de Manila University, said lawmakers should consider pursuing electoral malpractice cases instead of impeachment.

“It would be prudent to put him on charges of election violations that can be traced back to his previous run,” he said in a Messenger interview. “Previous Presidents have dealt with this to strengthen the potential ban on running.”

Meanwhile, opposition Senator Ana Theresia Hontiveros-Baraquel said the “united opposition,” made up of leaders of the Liberal Party and reform-oriented parties, was not yet ready to name the ruling party in the 2028 elections.

“We are in the process of setting a timeline,” he told a news conference. “Even before this recent significant development, we have continued to rise and agree on what our qualifications are at our level.”

Ms. Hontiveros said they expect to announce a candidate by the end of the year or the first quarter of 2027. He added that their bid as president should show commitment to fighting corruption, good governance, strong economic growth, national unity and sovereignty.

The senator said he is still open to run for President in 2028 if the opposition party reaches a consensus on his nomination.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button