Us News

Former LA deputy attorney general led DWP fraud case, jury rules

A former high-ranking Los Angeles city attorney approved a lawsuit against the city in hopes of getting LA compensation and repeatedly misled the court and the public about his role in the scheme, a judge ruled Tuesday.

In a 50-page ruling, California District Court Judge Yvette D. Roland found that Jim Clark, who was deputy attorney general under then-City Atty. Mike Feuer, has committed “numerous acts of moral turpitude and cover-ups” related to his involvement in the city attorney’s office in handling legal disputes over the Department of Water and Power’s flawed plan.

Roland recommended a two-year suspension of Clark’s law license, conditional on him taking a variety of ethics and law-related courses.

Unless both sides file appeals, the ruling will head to the state Supreme Court for approval.

“This decision is unfair and unjust,” said Clark’s attorney, Erin Joyce. “We are considering next steps, including an appeal.”

Chief Prosecutor George Cardona said in a statement that the court found that Clark “perpetrated a long-standing act of deceit that eroded public trust and confidence” in the city attorney’s office.

“The State Bar remains committed to pursuing this type of misconduct, regardless of the positions held by the attorneys involved,” said Cardona.

The scandal dates back to 2013, when a new DWP billing system issued erroneous bills to thousands of customers, including a Van Nuys couple who owed nearly $52,000.

As the city faced multiple lawsuits over the payment dispute, Clark helped oversee the lawsuit against the city, the judge found. Since the attorney on the plaintiffs’ side of the case works with the city’s team, the city can settle claims on favorable terms.

After the fraud case came to light, Clark and others in the city attorney’s office blamed other attorneys. The city attorney’s office has also spent tens of millions of dollars on outside lawyers in a related case, with Clark and others repeatedly denying wrongdoing.

Clark left the city in 2020, a year after the FBI raided City Hall as part of a criminal investigation related to the fraud case. He has never faced criminal charges.

Jamie Court, president of Consumer Watchdog, said Clark deserves severe punishment, including a ban from practicing law in the state.

“If you can lose your license to practice law in the State of California for committing fraud on the court and coordinating a partnership program, then what is the purpose of the State Bar?” The court said.

Clark’s trial lasted 32 days over several months.

An unexpected witness provided a stir towards the end of the trial.

Michael Nagle, an attorney for the Department of Transportation, testified that he ran into Clark at City Hall in March 2015.

Clark casually informed Nagle of an upcoming class action lawsuit to be filed against the city that would benefit the city. The comments are notable because Clark may not have had prior knowledge of the upcoming legal action.

Nagle testified that he felt compelled to come forward and disclose the conversation to the State Bar after reading a news story last year in which Clark denied any wrongdoing in connection with the class action lawsuit.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button