The fourth impeachment complaint against VP Duterte has been sent to the Speaker of the House

By Adrian H. Halili, A reporter
The fourth impeachment appeal against Vice-President (VP) Sara Duterte-Carpio was sent to the Office of the Speaker after it was accepted by the House of Representatives.
House Secretary-General Cheloy E. Velicaria-Garafil said her office received the 72-page complaint at 6:34 pm Wednesday and forwarded it Thursday to Speaker Faustino G. Dy III, in accordance with House rules.
“The Office of the Secretary General works only as a minister, focusing on receiving and forwarding applications and documents submitted to the House,” he said in a statement.
Attorney Nathaniel G. Cabrera filed a complaint on Feb. 19. It is alleged that the Vice President has failed to fully disclose assets in his statement of assets, liabilities and net worth (SALN) and may have amassed wealth disproportionate to his official salary.
Mr. Cabrera is seeking a legal review of bank records, property transfers and other financial documents to determine whether government funds were converted into personal property and whether his declared net worth accurately reflects his financial situation.
The complaint was approved by Deputy Speaker Francisco Paolo P. Ortega V and Manila lawyer Bienvenido “Benny” M. Abante, Jr., who heads the House Committee on Human Rights.
It alleges that certain assets, bank accounts, savings and real estate transactions have been omitted, understated or not fully disclosed in the Vice President’s SALNs.
Mr. Ortega said that these allegations need to be investigated by the congress but he stressed that the approval of the complaint does not mean that he is found guilty.
“This is not a conviction,” he said in a separate statement. “This is the process. If there are affidavits about massive money transfers and red flags in asset declarations, the House cannot look away.”
He also added that the announced plan to contest the presidential election in 2028 will not interfere with the proceedings.
“The Constitution is not suspended because someone announces that they will run for election,” he said. “If there is nothing to hide, transparency is not to be feared.”
Mr. Ortega also cited unresolved issues related to secret financing and intelligence as part of the administration’s broader concerns.
Three previously confirmed complaints of unexplained wealth, misuse of public funds and threats against the President and his family are still awaiting trial.
Under the Constitution, unpardonable offenses include wanton violation of the Constitution, treason, bribery, graft and corruption, other high crimes and treason. Mrs. Duterte has denied wrongdoing.
The Vice President was impeached by the House last year after more than a third of the lawyers supported the complaint that was sent to the Senate. The Supreme Court later overturned the trial, ruling that constitutional provisions were violated when the earlier appeals were dismissed.
Mrs. Duterte on Wednesday said she will run for the presidency in 2028, becoming the first politician to announce her intention to seek the country’s highest office amid the tension between President Ferdinand “Bongbong” R. Marcos, Jr.
The 1987 constitution limits Mr. Marcos has one six-year term, and has yet to approve a successor.
Before announcing her presidential bid, Ms. Duterte said running with Mr. Marcos in 2022 was a mistake, accusing him of failing to deliver on his campaign promises and being complicit in what she described as a massive corruption scheme involving the 2025 national budget.
The rift between Mr Marcos and Ms Duterte has grown in recent months following policy differences and political differences between their camps.
The political rivalry resurfaced after her father, former President Rodrigo R. Duterte, was arrested by the International Criminal Court on charges of crimes against humanity related to his anti-drug campaign.



