Another case of measles has been confirmed in LA County amid a nationwide spike

A fourth case of measles has been confirmed in Los Angeles County, prompting health officials to once again urge residents to make sure they are protected from the highly contagious virus.
The infected person flew from Singapore to Los Angeles International Airport on February 9 by ship Singapore Airlines Flight 38. The plane landed around 7 p.m. following a 14-hour flight, according to the LA County Department of Public Health.
In the following days, this person visited several fast food restaurants in the San Gabriel Valley, potentially exposing others to the measles virus.
“As measles cases are on the rise, it’s important that residents take steps to ensure they are fully protected,” said LA County Health Officer Dr. Muntu Davis in a statement. “I [measles-mumps-rubella] the vaccine is the safest and most reliable way to prevent measles and protect yourself, your family and your community.”
The health department did not respond to The Times’ questions about the gender or age of the infected person, who was described in a statement as “a citizen who recently traveled abroad.”
After arriving and leaving the Tom Bradley International Terminal, the person visited restaurants and shops in Whittier and Montebello.
Each person ate at the Burger King in Montebello, 1212 West Beverly Blvd., on Feb. 10 between 5:30 and 7 pm The next day, a person ate at Taqueria El Atacor, 11156 1/2 Whittier Blvd. in Whittier, between 3 and 5 p.m
The last two stops in Montebello were at Domino’s Pizza, 803 West Whittier Blvd., between 4 p.m. and 5:15 p.m. on Feb. 12; and 7-Eleven, 1106 West Beverly Blvd., on Feb. 13 between 4:30 pm and 5:45 pm
Those who were at Bradley Terminal (Terminal B) on Feb. 9 from 7:30 pm to 9:40 pm, or in the above restaurants during the time mentioned above, they may have been exposed to the measles virus.
Symptoms usually appear anywhere from seven to 21 days after exposure, according to the health department.
Affected individuals should ensure that they are immune to the virus, through previous measles vaccinations or vaccinations.
Those who are unvaccinated or unsure of their status should monitor themselves closely for signs of infection. Common symptoms include fever, cough, runny nose or red eyes, and rash.
Those with such symptoms are encouraged to stay at home and avoid school, work and any gatherings. They should also call a health care provider immediately, but not enter the health center without informing them.
The deadline to monitor for symptoms is from March 2 at LAX until March 6 at 7-Eleven for people who visited those areas at the same time as someone with the virus.
Davis said the most effective way to prevent measles is to get the MMR vaccine. Children 1 year and older are considered fully immunized after receiving two doses.
“Measles spreads easily and can lead to serious complications, including pneumonia, brain inflammation, and even death,” Davis said. “We urge everyone to ensure their immunity and get the MMR vaccine if needed, especially before traveling. Taking this simple step helps protect your health and strengthens the immunity of our entire community.”
Previous confirmed cases in LA County so far this year have also involved people who have traveled internationally. One of those people was serious Sherman Oaks on Jan. 24, one to Residences in Woodland Hills on Jan. 30. The first case was there no public exposure Residences in LA County.
Measles cases have increased in the United States as vaccination rates have declined in recent years, allowing the highly contagious virus to spread in communities with low vaccination coverage.
According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there were 2,280 confirmed cases of measles in the US last year, the highest annual number since 1991. Since Feb. 12, 910 cases have been confirmed nationwide this year – including 15 in California.



